Thursday, July 10, 2008

Creatures of the Sea


Both Jennifer and Brant have commented on the research, so I will take the liberty to discuss the "other" part of our stay.


First off, Monday I experienced a Chilean dessert (the name
escapes me) which was a combination of dried
peaches (yes, pit included) soaked in a funky syrup with what seemed to be barley at the bottom. It was an experience that I am OK with
not having again. (Not that it was BAD, it just wasn't good!)

Yesterday we tried a new restaurant, La Travola, and the staff was helpful (as far as travelling goes, almost motherly) and the food was excellent. I love going to a place where I can literally get the blue plate special. You never know what you are going to have. It was a bean soup with a salad, for those of you that are wondering.



Today, after working in the lab, we headed out on the Puerto Barron (which is very close to our bus stop). This is where I got my first view (other than birds) of Chilean wildlife. It was a sea lion. This is as close as I could get with my 48x zoom (if that gives any of you an idea of how far away they were). We were not quite sure what they were, so we did have to do some research when we returned home to find out exactly what our "creatures of the sea" were.


My other milestone today was my excitement about sharing a "conversation" (if you want to call it that) with a woman on the bus. We exhanged words, but since my Spanish is less than adequate I was very excited about this interaction. I was not only able to understand what she was saying to me (TWICE!!), but I was also able to answer her questions (TWICE!!!). Who knows, maybe next week I may give more than one word answers?!?!
I am really enjoying all of the multiple facets of this whole experience. I am working on my Spanish (always room to grow when you know basically... NONE!), I am enjoying the food (does that surprise anyone?) and I am taking in the culture (the conversations with my new amigos/amiga has been great!). Chile is an amazing country and I am hoping to learn and see more as we continue this experience.
I know my two counterparts have not talked about how wonderful the two of them have been to have around. I have truely enjoyed my time with both of them. I feel like we are a family. I have enjoyed their conversations and support during this interesting time of adjusting to this new way of life. I would also like to acknowledge our Chilean counterparts: Eduardo, Rodreguez, Alejandra, & Humberto. These four have been more than empetheic to our language barrier and have worked very hard to make us feel at home (did I mention that I have a "special key" to get into the professors bano (bathroom)??) I have ultimatly enjoyed the time with them this week. Their dedication to the project and their humor have made this week very enjoyable. I am excited for what this weekend has to offer and for the continuing of our research next week (yes, we have the AFM on Monday!!). Best wishes to everyone. I miss you all. ~Nic

No comments: