Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Getting used to it

I am enjoying the simplicity of life down here. It really helps to realize how life in the United States is somewhat cluttered. At the grocery store, for example, you have a selection of 10 chips, not 100. Same is true for cereal. I am really excited about the shelf-stable milk, it makes things so much easier!

The language barrier has seemed to not be a huge issue unless we are looking for something specific. It is difficult to explain what we are looking for unless we have an example of what it is we are looking for. I wanted to get slippers, yeah, try explaining that! I am slipperless as of now.

Our apartment is not heated (hence the slippers) so during the day it is very comfortable. At night is is cool and I have 4 blankets on my bed! It reminds me of camping, once the sun goes down we need to put on more layers.

My addition to the blog today is a google map of where we are living and working. I am also adding other "locations" as we get to know the lay of the land a little better.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=-33.031162,-71.576904&daddr=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=110224936514495761747.00045182546ebfdb79132&ll=-33.030731,-71.577151&spn=0.001898,0.003304&t=h&z=18

2 comments:

Bailey said...

Hi Nicole,

I just looked at your map...your apartment is located on the water?!?!? Wow, too bad it isn't warmer for you. Must be gorgeous none-the-less. Hope all is well.
Hugs,
Bailey :o)

Cele said...

Hi Nicole,

Wow!!! What an opportunity. It looks and sounds like you are having a great time. I loved reading your posts. I especially liked the pictures of the sea lions. I took some similar pictures in Alaska of some Stellar sea lions. Sea lions around the world must like bouys. Have lots of fun learning and I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures! Have a fantastic time in Chile!

Cele ;-)