Saturday, July 5, 2008

Today is the day

Travels begin today for the three of us. As could be expected it has been a whirlwind on my end. The trip to SD was good and uneventful. The day wrapped up with 4th of July festivities in Spearfish with family and friends.

It seems to be a little bit of a trick to plan attire for the first leg. The forecast for Rapid City today is for 96 degrees but I am sure it will be brisk upon arrival in Santiago. I remember last summer traveling in sandals and short sleeves with light layers just in case. When we got on the plane in Dallas, folks were clearly wearing cold weather clothing. Waiting for a bus outside of the airport in Santiago I understood why there was a perceived mismatch in attire in Dallas. I don't know that I will do much better today but I am wearing shoes and the layers I bring should keep the heat in a little better.

Humberto will be picking us up at the airport on Sunday morning. We will then travel to the apartment in Valparaiso and begin getting our bearings. The plan is to be on campus and ready to start our program Monday morning. More pictures and stories to come.

No comments: