Saturday, July 26, 2008

Last Day in Chile

Today is my last day here in Chile (Brant's too, Nicole is staying for another week).  I am looking forward to going home to reconnect with my family and friends, to see my cat, and to sleep in my own bed.  However, it is also with great sadness that I am leaving behind a fantastic country and some wonderful new friends.
Nicole and I finished up our research in the lab this week.  We then took some time to write up a report about our findings.  The report was difficult because it was putting the large mass of information I had gathered in my head over the last few weeks into a coherent form for others to read.  I am amazed at how much I learned but also realize that I have some unclear portions of my new knowledge.  The report really helped me to put it all together and realize how much we had done.  When I get home I plan to look over the literature and some of my notes to put together some more of the pieces.  I definitely feel as if my experience in the lab has enriched my understanding of science and the scientific process and I look forward to sharing this with my students in the upcoming school year.
For the last couple of evenings we have all gotten together, both Americans and Chileans.  These evenings have been filled with lots of laughter and fun.  However, they have also allowed me to learn more from my new friends.  I have enjoyed talking about many aspects of life and comparing and contrasting our experiences from different parts of the world.  I have been overwhelmed by how giving everyone has been here, particularly of their time.  Knowing how I feel that my life is always so busy I wonder if our places were switched if I would be so giving of my own time.  It helps to keep things in perspective.
I sincerely hope that I am able to make another visit to Chile in the not too distant future.  The only thing that gives me some concern is my lack of Spanish.  Being here has made me realize how wonderful it would be to know another language.
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to follow our journey.  It has been fun sharing.

No comments: